Keyes man killed in hit and run | News
KEYES, CA - A Stanislaus County resident was killed in what authorities believe was a hit and run Thursday afternoon.
According to preliminary information, the victim, Stanley Roy Hyer, 53, jumped on his ATV to go after someone in a pick-up truck apparently dumping trash on Keyes Road east of Carpenter Road.
"My son was in the field, cutting some trees down, and he had a quad. When he saw it, he took off down the road while trash was flying out of the trailer," said Norman Hyer, father of the victim.
Hyer was found on the ground with mortal injuries. The Modesto Bee reports the ATV was 30 yards away and undamaged. His father figures his son took a shortcut to get in front of the vehicle and presumed the driver would stop.
"I know he was trying to stop the car. They hit him and kept on going. I don't know why people throw trash in the fields, then when they get caught, they do other stupid things," said Norman Hyer.
The truck was described as a white, full-sized pick-up, possibly a Chevrolet.
The California Highway Patrol is handling the investigation, and claims to have good information from tips that have come in.
Upcoming Events near Oakdale / Turlock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The SJDC Jazz Festival presents the group Espacio, with celebrated saxophonist Eric Marienthal
- Celebrate "Navidad en Mexico" at Delta College's Atherton Auditorium on Dec.5 8pm
- $60 Million in Training Funds Available to California Business Owners
- SJDC Culinary Arts Winter Feast, Dec. 11
- Ceremony of Carols Delta College's Winter Choral Concert Dec. 4, 7:30pm