4 Steps To Creating Visual Flow in Your Home | Home & Garden
Painting a house is one of those projects that seems relatively simple, but is actually a multi-faceted undertaking. One facet of the painting process is to choose colors and plan where each color works best. The planning process is often overlooked, but it is one of the most important steps in creating a pleasing visual flow throughout a home.
Ultimately, you can achieve great continuity in a home by choosing colors that compliment each other nicely, and by making sure that the patterns, fabrics and furniture in your home correspond with those colors. However, here is a simple 4-step process of how to make a home flow nicely from room to room.
- Choose a color palette for your home, choose whether you want your home to have warm tones, cool tones, a bold style or a neutral style.
- Select 2 or 3 primary colors for all the rooms of your home that all fit into the color palette. Then select 2-3 complimentary accent colors to use throughout the home.
- When you begin painting, plan out the rooms so the darker colors alternate with the lighter, more neutral ones.
- Use the accent colors to paint trim, pieces of furniture or to create accent walls in 1 or 2 rooms. Accent colors should be present in each room so that there is a feeling of continuity throughout the home.
One other technique that works nicely to add more depth and color variety to the home is to dilute a paint color with white for adjoining rooms. For example, if your living room and dining room flow into each other, you could paint your dining room a dark plum gray, and dilute the plum-gray paint with a can of white paint to create a light purple-gray color for the living room. Little techniques like this go a long way to create visual fluency in a home.
Call Lancaster Painting at 209-634-1111 if you have any questions about color, design or painting. Or contact us online if you would like to schedule a free estimate. Based in Turlock, we serve the surrounding areas of Central Valley.
Upcoming Events near Oakdale / Turlock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Celebrate "Navidad en Mexico" at Delta College's Atherton Auditorium on Dec.5 8pm
- $60 Million in Training Funds Available to California Business Owners
- SJDC Culinary Arts Winter Feast, Dec. 11
- Ceremony of Carols Delta College's Winter Choral Concert Dec. 4, 7:30pm
- Delta's Alpha Gamma Sigma chapter will hold a Bone Marrow Donor Registry