Oakdale police break up drugstore armed robbery | Crime
OAKDALE, CA - Monday morning started with a strange phone phone call that turned into a armed robbery and suicide, according to Oakdale police.
Events began with the call at 8:07 a.m. from a pharmacist at the Walgreen's at 444 W. F Street telling the dispatcher there was a man at the drugstore who want to talk to police about a murder in Ceres that was committed several years earlier, said Sgt. Joe Johnson. The man, identified as 49-year-old Vern Dewayne Odom, of Oakdale, took the phone, spoke with dispatch and then the phone was handed back to the pharmacist.
At that point, the pharmacist told the dispatcher Odom had a knife and was holding up the pharmacy for prescription medication, Oxycontin, according to police.
Officers responded to Walgreens and evacuated the drugstore. As officers approached Odom at the back of the store where the pharmacy was located, the suspect was seen swallowing pills, Johnson said.
Odom was taken by ambulance to an area hospital to be treated for the overdose. He was then expected to be booked for armed robbery, said Johnson.
No Walgreens' employees or customers were hurt.
Upcoming Events near Oakdale / Turlock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Murder suspect in standoff with deputies in Stockton
- CHP: 3 year old not in car seat dies in Stockton crash
- Calif. water managers open the floodgates a little
- Interconnection: When the Arts Touch, Dance performance at Delta College - April 18 & 19, 8pm
- Annual San Joaquin USA Math Steeplechase Continues to Add Up