2 men found dead in Hughson home after standoff | Crime
HUGHSON, CA - Two men were found dead inside a Hughson home after a standoff Wednesday afternoon.
Deputies, SWAT and hostage negotiators were outside a home on the 1900 block of 7th Street and evacuated a couple of neighbors, Deputy Raj Singh said.
Deputies closed off 7th Street from Fox Road and E. Hatch Road.
The incident started after deputies responded to a call outside of Oakdale on Eaton Road of a suicidal man in a pickup truck with a gun around 1:18 p.m. While deputies were in route, the man drove away from the location.
Singh said deputies spotted the vehicle and began to follow the man; they attempted a traffic stop on Yosemite Avenue, but the man refused to yield.
However, the man stopped in front of the home, exited the truck and went inside.
Singh said deputies heard several gunshots from inside the home; they believe people were inside the home when the shots were fired.
After some time, a woman was able to leave the home unharmed.
SWAT entered the home and found two men dead inside.
Jennifer Alveti said she was on her way to visit her aunt at the house when she was stopped by deputies. Alveti, who is 14, said friends of her family said the man with the gun was threatening her grandmother when her uncle tried to intervene.
"And my uncle came in through the back door with a gun and asked the guy to please leave and he wouldn't leave and was gonna start shooting him," Alveti said.
Alveti was not sure what had happened to her grandmother, but said she was relieved her aunt had made it out safely as the gunshots started. She said she feared the worst for her uncle.
"I heard that two victims were shot, two older men were shot and I'm really scared because that's my uncle," she said.
Deputies are not searching for shooting suspects in the case.
Upcoming Events near Oakdale / Turlock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 1 arrested, 1 hospitalized in roommate fight over dirty dishes
- D.A.: No charges for Manteca pastor in Vegas man's 2013 death
- A man was suspected of using counterfeit cards to buy more than $500 worth of Applebee's gift cards
- Reader Showcase // A Swingset for Two
- Ripon police chief takes down armed robbery suspect
- San Joaquin Delta College's College Night 2014
- Delta College Center for the Arts & L.H. Horton Gallery Presents: Visions in Clay 2014
- Haggerty Construction celebrates fulfillment of dream with new Stockton office opening
- Delta levees pass inspection after Napa earthquake
- California Transportation Commission Awards $221 Million in Active Transportation Program Funds Stat