Oakdale Student receives Latina Scholarship to study abroad in Costa Rica | Community
Oakdale, CA, 14 January 2013 – Kalkidan Curtis, an Oakdale High School student from Oakdale, CA has been awarded a Vaya a America Latina scholarship in the amount of $5,000 from AFS Intercultural Programs/USA. Kalkidan will study in a Costa Rican high school for the spring semester of 2013, and live with a host family.
“I am thrilled and honored to be one of the recipients of the Vaya a América Latina Scholarship. For a very long time I have had an interest in the world and the many cultures that it cradles. I hope in my lifetime I can immerse myself in many different cultures and learn the many languages spoken in different parts of the word. I feel that this opportunity to study abroad in Costa Rica will be my first step in becoming a world citizen.” – Kalkidan Curtis.
AFS participants learn how to speak another language, navigate in a different cultural context, and marshal a global perspective on issues. These skills are becoming essential in today’s global economy. To make this transformative experience accessible to as many as possible, AFS-USA awards more than $3 million in scholarships and financial aid to outstanding students across the country each year. For most, the exchange experience is a milestone in their personal and professional lives.
Source: Anna Henry - AFS Intercultural Programs
Upcoming Events near Oakdale / Turlock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- D.A.: No charges for Manteca pastor in Vegas man's 2013 death
- A man was suspected of using counterfeit cards to buy more than $500 worth of Applebee's gift cards
- Reader Showcase // A Swingset for Two
- Ripon police chief takes down armed robbery suspect
- Lathrop army depot considered as temporary home for undocumented kids
- Denham to Host United States Military Academy Information Night in Modesto
- Valley chicken farm operators banned from working with animals
- Modesto Irrigation District identifies alleged water thieves
- Reader Showcase // Our Crate & Barrel Outdoor Furniture
- A man was killed when he failed to yield to an oncoming train in Turlock Saturday night.