Oakdale Student receives Latina Scholarship to study abroad in Costa Rica | Community
Oakdale, CA, 14 January 2013 – Kalkidan Curtis, an Oakdale High School student from Oakdale, CA has been awarded a Vaya a America Latina scholarship in the amount of $5,000 from AFS Intercultural Programs/USA. Kalkidan will study in a Costa Rican high school for the spring semester of 2013, and live with a host family.
“I am thrilled and honored to be one of the recipients of the Vaya a América Latina Scholarship. For a very long time I have had an interest in the world and the many cultures that it cradles. I hope in my lifetime I can immerse myself in many different cultures and learn the many languages spoken in different parts of the word. I feel that this opportunity to study abroad in Costa Rica will be my first step in becoming a world citizen.” – Kalkidan Curtis.
AFS participants learn how to speak another language, navigate in a different cultural context, and marshal a global perspective on issues. These skills are becoming essential in today’s global economy. To make this transformative experience accessible to as many as possible, AFS-USA awards more than $3 million in scholarships and financial aid to outstanding students across the country each year. For most, the exchange experience is a milestone in their personal and professional lives.
Source: Anna Henry - AFS Intercultural Programs
Upcoming Events near Oakdale / Turlock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Delta’s 100th Anniversary time capsule has been cleared for its voyage through time and space!
- Stockton Homeless Clothing Drive at Delta College
- Hundreds of Opportunities at Sacramento’s last 2013 Job Fair!
- The SJDC Jazz Festival presents the group Espacio, with celebrated saxophonist Eric Marienthal
- Celebrate "Navidad en Mexico" at Delta College's Atherton Auditorium on Dec.5 8pm